Thursday, May 28, 2009

Injury of the Year

Hip injuries are apparently, well, hip.

I'd never heard of a baseball player tearing his hip labrum before. I mean, I didn't even know hips had labrums, I thought they were in your shoulder. And now we have Brett Myers joining the list of guys with hip injuries. Just last year Justin Duchscherer hurt his hip and I didn't hear any talk of labrums... but now we have Mike Lowell, Chase Utley, Alex Rodriguez, Carlos Delgado, Alex Gordon and now Myers. WTF, people? Did they start putting some hip-weakening agent in infield dirt? I really don't get it.

Anyway, the Phillies are discussing who will come up to replace Myers. In addition to the usual suspects -- Kyle Kendrick and Carlos Carrasco -- some think they'll call up Antonio Bastardo, who was 2-2 with a 1.82 ERA and 0.81 WHIP (7 BB, 39 K) in 34.2 IP in Double-A, and then struck out 11 in his first start in Triple-A.

Judging from those numbers he looks like a really good prospect. But if I were the Phillies I'd call him up for the jersey sales alone. The entire population of South Philly would line up to buy a jersey with BASTARDO across the back of it.

No comments: